FONVILLE FARM

Tales of a Georgia Peach!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Babies "R" Us, I'm not happy with you right now!

I'm really not happy with Babies "R" Us right now! We registered there last year when I was pregnant with our son with no problems at all. We had a very helpful lady that gave us advice but didn't push us in any direction at all. So when we went to register this time the same lady was there and helped us get everything set up. But then, after we finished another lady came over and asked if she could look at our registry and proceeded to tell me that I registered for all the wrong things, not enough items and started to give me advice on the extra gadgets that I might want to consider. Then asked if she could just change my registry for me. I told her that I was happy with the way things were, that I knew what I needed and wanted.
So today, I went back with a Medela Pump In Style breast pump that a friend gave me. All I need is new tubing and accessories and the pump itself works just fine. They do not sell the tubing, but they do sell the accessories. The same lady was working today, she proceeded to tell me that I could not use a second-hand breast pump that even with changing the tubing and accessories that there is still bacteria in the motor that my baby will not be able to fight off. She would be happy to help me with anything else, even a new breast pump, but not accessories for the used one. I have never heard this before, if it is the case then shouldn't each mother buy a new pump for each new child?
I had some reward bucks that are going to expire and I was so mad at her that I left and didn't get anything. It made me even want to delete my registry and re-register somewhere else!  

3 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I would be furious and I would let someone know at Babies R Us about that. My daughter is going to use a 2nd hand breast pump with new tubing, etc. There is nothing wrong with it. This lady was trying to get you to purchase items you did not want nor need.

Cherie said...

I am a "lurker" but just wanted to comment since I support breastfeeding mothers. For more detailed information about the risk of exposure to pathogens, take a look at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

This entire website is EXCELLENT and written by an expert lactation consultant that I knew when I lived in Virginia.

That said, there are websites where you can purchase tubing, flanges, etc.

Hope this helps :)

The Hobbit said...

Chain stores always think they know better than you and often train there employees to treat customers as though they just got off the boat.Getting upset with them just leads them to believe they are right.Just flash that Georgia smile and inform that salesclerk that you know what is best for you. Don't forget to thank her for all her help.